AssociatePlano Board Certified
Kevin Segler is a skilled family lawyer both in and out of the courtroom. Kevin is Board Certified in Family Law by the Texas Board of Legal Specialization and has dealt with a wide variety of family law matters across the State of Texas.
Kevin approaches his cases with the philosophy that from the start of the case you plan and prepare to win in the courtroom but hope that going to court is unnecessary. “Usually, it is ideal to resolve cases prior to trial because it can save money, time, and prevent further destruction of family relationships or business interests. By being prepared to win in court, we are also prepared to win in the conference room. And, of course, if going to trial is required then we are ready to make the strongest case to the judge or jury.”
Kevin views family law as a unique area of law because it involves both personal and professional interests and the cases are dynamic in that people’s personal and professional lives do not stop once a case starts but rather they are constantly changing and progressing as the case is moving forward. “In family law, it is important to have an attorney who is knowledgeable and can help you make the right decisions during a case. Often these decisions made during a case are very important either on a personal or professional level and can have a significant impact on the family, the business, the case or all of the above. I enjoy helping my clients through these moments and assisting them in making the right decisions to accomplish their goals.”
Whether it is a unique child custody arrangement or a complex property division, Kevin enjoys crafting creative and practical solutions to resolve the issues at hand. Kevin understands that family law cases can dramatically impact not only a client’s financial future but also the future of their relationship with their children and a cookie-cutter solution is not always best.
Kevin was born and raised in North Dallas and attended Coppell High School. Kevin attended the University of Oklahoma where he obtained his undergraduate degree in political science and then continued on to obtain his law degree at the University of Oklahoma College of Law. Kevin is licensed to practice law in the State of Texas and is admitted to practice in federal court in the United States Northern District of Texas and the United States Supreme Court. Kevin is a member of the Texas Academy of Family Law Specialists, the Texas Trial Lawyers Association, and a wide variety of other state and local bar associations and committees. Kevin also frequently writes, speaks, and presents on a number of family law topics around the state.
- Author, “Business Valuations in Divorce.” Texas Lawyer, March 20, 2019.
- Author, “Family Law Issues For Entrepreneurs: Family lawyers can help entrepreneurs protect their businesses before marriage, during marriage, and at the time of divorce.” Texas Lawyer, March 4, 2019.
- Speaker, “SNAFUs and Recoveries at Trial: Strategies for When Your Plans Go AWOL.” Presentation at Marriage Dissolution 101, April 24, 2019.
- Speaker, “Business Entities and Divorce.” Presentation at Marriage Dissolution. April, 2019.
- Speaker, “Trying a Custody Case on a Shoestring.” Presentation at the Family Law Essentials Seminar, May 3, 2019.
- University of Oklahoma College of Law, J.D.
- University of Oklahoma
- State Bar of Texas
- Northern District of Texas, Federal Court
- Bar of the Supreme Court of the United States
- Texas Trial Lawyers Association
- Texas Academy of Family Law Specialist – Board Member