"It is very rewarding to be able to make a difference in the lives of our clients when they're going through difficult times."
Rebecca Tillery Rowan
Rebecca Tillery Rowan
ShareholderDallas Board Certified
Rebecca Tillery Rowan’s specialties include complex marital property cases, premarital and postmarital agreements, and family law appeals.
Rebecca Rowan is Board Certified in Family Law by the Texas Board of Legal Specialization, having sat for and passed the exam the first year she was eligible to do so.
Her experience, compassion, and thorough preparation have won her a place on the list of the Texas Super Lawyers Rising Stars in family law published by Thomson Reuters every year since 2012.
After clerking for KoonsFuller during law school, Mrs. Rowan joined the firm in 2007 as an associate attorney in the Dallas office. After seven years, Ms. Rowan was named Shareholder in 2014.
Mrs. Rowan earned a bachelor of business administration in finance at the University of Texas at Austin with a concentration in accounting. After college, she worked as a financial analyst for a global business services company. Her education and experience in the business world launched her career in complex marital property cases where the characterization of separate property and/or the valuation of community property is key. Mrs. Rowan’s specialized knowledge of how to deal with closely-held businesses in a divorce is invaluable whether discussing buying out a spouse’s interest in the business, or analyzing creative alternatives to ensure that the business remains sound. This same education and experience have spurred a thriving practice drafting, negotiating, and litigating prenuptial and postnuptial agreements.
Known as an Appellate Attorney
Rebecca Rowan is one of KoonsFuller’s finest appellate attorneys. While at KoonsFuller, Mrs. Rowan has built a thriving family law appellate practice and has become known as a “go to” appellate attorney in Texas. That gives her a special edge in family law. “My practice is roughly 65% family law trial work and 35% family law appellate work, so I have the unique experience of seeing a family law trial from both angles. I have found that being a litigator at the trial level makes me a better appellate lawyer, and working on so many appeals has also made me a sharper trial lawyer,” she says.
Mrs. Rowan successfully argued an appeal before the Texas Supreme Court. The case, Milner v. Milner, was a contest over a property division.
On October 16, 2014 Mrs. Rowan spoke about family law appeals for the Dallas Bar Association Appellate Section. She provided insight on family law appeals and a general understanding of the process. The paper below is provided by: Attorney Georganna L. Simpson and Rebecca Rowan.
Download Paper Here:
Family Law Appeals
Mrs. Rowan earned her Juris Doctor, cum laude, from the SMU Dedman School of Law in 2007. She served as an Editor for the SMU Law Review. Ms. Rowan was also selected for the National Criminal Procedure Moot Court Team for two years in a row. Before she was even known as an appellate attorney, she won Best Appellant Brief in 2006 and members of the faculty selected her as a National Member of the Order of the Barristers in 2007.
Since graduating from law school, she has authored and co-authored numerous articles on family law and appeals.
Mrs. Rowan is a member of the Dallas Bar Association (DBA), Dallas Association of Young Lawyers (DAYL), Texas Academy of Family Law Specialists, Collin County Young Lawyers (CCYLA), Family Law Section of the DBA, Appellate Law Section of the DBA, American Bar Association, and the College of the State Bar of Texas.
- Author, “Lost Your Valentine? Top 10 Traps When Going Through Texas Divorce.” Texas Lawyer, February 13, 2019.
- Author, “How to Keep Your Kids Out of the Divorce.” Texas Lawyer, February 8, 2019.
- Author, “Texas Child Support Increases Sept. 1: Could You Be Affected?” Texas Lawyer, August 15, 2019.
- SMU Dedman School of Law, J.D. (2007)
- University of Texas at Austin (2003)
- Dallas Bar Association (DBA)
- Dallas Association of Young Lawyers (DAYL)
- Texas Academy of Family Law Specialists
- Collin County Young Lawyers (CCYLA)
- Family Law Section of the DBA
- Appellate Law Section of the DBA
- American Bar Association
- College of the State Bar of Texas
- Honoree, Texas Rising Star (2012-19)
- Up-and-Coming 100: 2018-19 Texas Rising Stars
- Up-and-Coming 50: 2018-19 Women Texas Rising Stars
- The Best Lawyers in America®in family law as recognized by Best Lawyers, LLC (2016-20)
- Recognized, Elite Lawyer by Elite Lawyer (2018)
- Board Certified, Family Law – Texas Board of Legal Specialization