Walter Schouten has been practicing family law since 2014 but has worked in the family law field, prior to being licensed, beginning in 2009. In that time, he has worked with, for, and against some of the best family law attorneys in the Houston area on high-conflict child custody disputes, high net worth marital estates, and high-profile divorce litigation. Walter’s desire to work with the best is driven by his desire to get the best results possible, which has been the case since the beginning of his legal career: in 2013, he graduated summa cum laude from South Texas College of Law and at the top of his graduating class, earning the highest grade in multiple courses along the way, all while working as a law clerk at a boutique family law firm in Houston.
Since then, he has continued on this path by achieving victories for his clients, who benefit from his practical, level-headed, and results-driven approach. A small sampling of these victories include:
- Obtaining primary custody for a mother after a lengthy period of having no access to the child due to false allegations of abuse;
- Authoring the brief which led to a court of appeals affirming a six-figure interim attorney fee award in a custody case;
- Obtaining primary custody for a father in a lengthy custody battle where the mother made numerous attempts to conceal evidence;
- Retaining custody for a mother who had been falsely accused of viciously assaulting her daughter;
- Getting a court to allow a mother to move with her child to a location beyond the standard geographical area that courts impose in the vast majority of cases—generally a very difficult feat.
Walter brings this track record, and the approach that led to it, to KoonsFuller, making him a valuable asset to the firm’s clients.
- Honoree, Texas Rising Stars by Thomson Reuters (2020-2021)