KoonsFuller Shareholder Taylor Imel Appointed to Houston Bar Association’s Gender Fairness Committee
According to an April 23, 2019 Texas Lawyer article, “60 law firms signed a Gender Fairness Commitment Statement calling for ‘material’ increases in women partners and firm leaders by 2020.” KoonsFuller Shareholder Taylor Imel, located in the firm’s Houston office, has just been appointed to the Houston Bar Association Gender Fairness Committee that lead to the development of the Gender Fairness Committee Statement. In addition to Taylor Imel now playing an active role within the organization leading this initiative, KoonsFuller will continue to support gender equality inside and outside the workplace.
KoonsFuller, P.C. is the largest family law firm in Texas and the second largest in the US. The firm is proud to report that 3 of 5 managing shareholders, 12 of 20 partners, and 8 of 15 associates are female, and we are still growing!
CEO and Dallas Managing Shareholder Ike Vanden Eykel says, “It’s no secret that leadership is often [inaccurately] associated with masculinity, regardless of gender. However, throughout my leadership in family law, inside and outside the firm, my experiences have driven me to very intentionally look beyond social norms and stereotypes to instead assess the root need and determine the best resources available to fill that need. In the case of employing attorneys and staff at KoonsFuller Family Law and evaluating individuals for initiative-driving roles, the firm’s history of female partners and leaders is evidence of our intent to encourage and support individuals that exhibit strong people-skills and higher levels of EQ, regardless of gender.”
“Under the leadership of Ike and Rick (President and Plano Managing Shareholder), the firm understands that US culture often statistically shows that when it comes to managing people – focusing on people’s motivation, values and attitudes – women perform better than their male counterparts,” says Houston Managing Shareholder Sherri Evans. “Family law is a people practice, and KoonsFuller does more than practice law. We treat our clients with the respect and the same level of care that we treat our families. Through a commitment to excellence and compassion for our clients, we empower them to move past indecision towards a much-needed resolution for their family. To continue being the Texas family law firm that does it best, we need the best people and the best leaders – we have them and more of them happen to be women.”
A few additional notes:
- The firm has no gender pay gap – attorneys or staff.
- Of the firm’s four administrative leaders, two are females.
- Most recent awards and recognitions earned by female attorneys within the firm include:
- The Best Lawyers in America® as recognized by Best Lawyers and Co., LLC and in:
- Family Law (Charla Bradshaw, Sherri Evans, Neda Garrett, Laura Hayes, Jessica Janicek, Heather King, Liz Porter, Rebecca Rowan and Sally Pretorius)
- Family Law Mediation (Charla Bradshaw and Heather King)
- Collaborative Family Law (Liz Porter)
- Texas Super Lawyer (Charla Bradshaw, Julie Crawford, Sherri Evans, Heather King, Dana Manry, Liz Porter and Sally Pretorius)
- Top 50 Women in Texas (Charla Bradshaw, Julie Crawford, Sherri Evans and Sally Pretorius)
- Top 100 in Texas (Charla Bradshaw, Sherri Evans and Heather King)
- Top 100 in DFW (Charla Bradshaw and Heather King)
- Top 100 in Houston (Sherri Evans)
- Texas Rising Star (Sarah Darnell, Neda Garrett, Jessica Janicek, Taylor Imel and Rebecca Rowan)
- Up-and-Coming 100 in Texas (Sarah Darnell, Neda Garrett, Jessica Janicek and Rebecca Rowan)
- Up-and-Coming 50 Women in Texas (Sarah Darnell, Neda Garrett, Jessica Janicek and Rebecca Rowan)
- Heather King was the 2018 Sam Emison Award Recipient by Texas Academy of Family Law Specialists for her distinguished service to the practice of family law with the Sam Emison Award. The prestigious award is only given to one attorney or judge in the State of Texas each year.
- Top Attorney by Fort Worth Magazine (Jessica Janicek, Heather King and Dana Manry – All female attorneys in our Southlake office)
- Top Lawyer by H Texas Magazine (Sherri Evans, Taylor Imel, Jordan Turk and Jennifer Varadi)
- Top Lawyers by Houstonia magazine (Sherri Evans and Taylor Imel – All female shareholders in our Houston office)
- Best Lawyers by D Magazine (Liz Porter)
- Best Lawyers 40 Under 40 (Neda Garrett and Sally Pretorius)
- Outstanding Service by an Individual, Harris County Bench Bar Pro Bono Awards (Jordan Turk)
- 13 out of 20 female attorneys are board certified in family law