"A firm the size of KoonsFuller can call upon resources that few family law firms have available to them."
Managing ShareholderSouthlake Board Certified
Heather King is the complete family lawyer, one of the few family law attorneys with extensive experience from the beginning of a case, through trial or settlement to the handling of an appeal. Because of her range of talents, she is called upon to handle trials and appeals throughout Texas.
Heather King is Strong on Appeals
Ms. King is especially adept at handling appeals of divorce cases. Recently, a reporter for WBAP Radio in Fort Worth spoke to her about the challenges involved in appealing a divorce case.
Heather King joined KoonsFuller in 2007 as a Shareholder and manager of the firm’s Southlake Office. Ms. King is past President of the Texas Academy of Family Law Specialists and a former President of the Tarrant County Bar Association and the Tarrant County Family Law Bar Association. Recently Heather King was voted ‘2013 Top Rated Lawyer in ‘Appellate Law’ by Martindale-Hubbell™.
Heather was recently recognized as a 2019 Texas Trailblazer by Texas Lawyer. D Magazine has selected her as one of the Best Women Lawyers in North Texas (2010). Fort Worth Magazine has recognized her as one of the area’s Top Attorneys and The Best Lawyers in America honored her as one of Texas’ Best Lawyers from 2009 to present. She has been named to the list of the Top 50 Women Lawyers in the state and a Texas Super Lawyers honoree as published by Thomson Reuters.
Heather King began her association with the legal profession as a receptionist for a Fort Worth firm while an undergraduate at Texas Christian University, where she earned a bachelor of arts degree in 1987. She earned her Juris Doctor from Texas Tech University School of Law in 1995.
Board Certified in Family Law
Heather King is Board Certified in Family Law by the Texas Board of Legal Specialization. She is a member of the Family Law Council of the State Bar of Texas and a Fellow in the American Academy of Matrimonial Lawyers.
Ms. King is especially proud of her published appellate cases, many of which are found in the annotations to the Texas Family Code. While her practice is evenly divided between appellate and trial work, she believes the fine sense of detail that leads to a successful appeal makes her better in the courtroom or in a settlement conference.
“In most divorce cases, a client will have just one attorney,” she says. “But every so often, a case is so large and complex that you need expertise in such areas as tax law, real estate and business valuation. At KoonsFuller, I can call upon the necessary resources to be successful in a case of any size.”
- Author, “Emojis and Emoticons: How Courts and Litigators are Dealing with Interpretation of Digital Wordless Communications.” American Bar Association, January 1, 2022.
- Texas Tech University School of Law, J.D. (1995)
- Texas Christian University, B.A. (1987)
- Tarrant County Bar Association – Director, Officer & President (2003-2010)
- Texas Academy of Family Law Specialist – Director/Officer & President (2003-2012)
- Family Law Council, State Bar of Texas – Council Member, Officer & Chair (2004-2017)
- College of the State Bar of Texas – Member/Fellow (1999 to present)
- Tarrant County Young Lawyers Association – Member (1996-2002)
- Collaborative Law Institute of Texas
- State Bar of Texas – Family Law Section (1993)
- Texas Family Law Foundation – Board of Directors (2017 to present)
- Tarrant County Bar Foundation – Board of Directors (2017 to present)
- Eldon B. Mahon Inn of Court – Member, Barrister, Master & Emertus (1997-98, 2001-2005, 2007-2008, 2010 to 2011, 2017 to present)
- Eldon B. Mahon Inn of Court – Executive, Counselor and President (2017-2020)
- American College of Barristers – Senior Counsel (2001 to present)
- Texas Bar Foundation – Fellow (2002 to present)
- Texas Family Law Bar Foundation – Lifetime Fellow (2004 to present)
- Tarrant County Bar Foundation – Fellow (2004 to present)
- Lawyers of Distinction – (2018 to present)
- The Best Lawyers in America© “Lawyer of the Year” in family law for Dallas/Fort Worth as recognized by Best Lawyers, LLC (2022)
- Top Lawyer by Southlake Style Magazine (2021)
- Honoree, 360 West Magazine “Top Attorneys” (2018 – 2022)
- Texas Trailblazer by Texas Lawyer (2019)
- Honoree, Texas Super Lawyers (2003-22)
- Top 50 Women Texas (2004-22)
- Top 100 Texas (2008, 2011, 2012, 2014-22)
- Top 100 Dallas/Ft. Worth (2006-08, 2011-22)
- The Best Lawyers in America© in family law, family law arbitration and family law mediation as recognized by Best Lawyers, LLC (2007-23)
- Legal Leaders: Top Rated Lawyers in Texas (2019 – 2022)
- Recognized, Elite Lawyer by Elite Lawyer (2018)
- Sam Emison Recipient by Texas Academy of Family Law Specialists (2018)
- Dan Price Award (2017 recipient)
- Top 10 Family Law Attorney in Texas, National Academy of Family Law Attorneys (2017)
- Fort Worth Magazine’s “Top Attorney,” Family Law (2002 to present)
- D Magazine’s “Best Women Lawyers in Dallas” (2010)
- Board Certified – Family Law, Texas Board of Legal Specialization, December of 2000
- Re-Certified – Family Law, Texas Board of Legal Specialization, December of 2005
- Re-Certified – Family Law, Texas Board of Legal Specialization, December of 2010
- Re-Certified – Family Law, Texas Board of Legal Specialization, December of 2015
- Re-Certified – Family Law, Texas Board of Legal Specialization, December of 2020