Paul Leopold focuses his practice on family law appeals. Paul has been voted by his peers as a “Top Attorney” in both family law and appellate law and has been recognized as a Texas Rising Star by Thomas Reuters for appellate law. Paul has also received the Joseph W. McKnight Best Family Law CLE Article award for his continuing legal education treatise on evidence, among other awards. Paul regularly prepares presentations that he or others present in continuing legal education courses in Texas and around the nation.
Paul joined KoonsFuller in 2015 after clerking for the Eastland Court of Appeals in Eastland, Texas. He primarily acts as appellate counsel on cases, ranging from complex property disputes to international child abduction to constitutional rights of parents. As appellate counsel, Paul assists trial attorneys at each stage of a case with strategy, research, briefing, dispositive motions, trial or settlement, and appeals or original proceedings in the Supreme Court of Texas, Texas Courts of Appeals, and the United States Court of Appeals for the Fifth Circuit.
Paul also regularly assists the Family Law Section of the State Bar of Texas and the Texas Family Law Foundation. The Section and Foundation appointed Paul to work with the Texas Supreme Court advisory committee in drafting rules that affect the enforcement of foreign judgments in family law cases. The Section and Foundation often request that Paul help with research and drafting of family law legislation.
Outside of work, Paul enjoys spending time with his wife and kids, gardening, playing golf, and rock climbing.
- Texas A&M University School of Law, J.D. (2014)
- Brigham Young University, B.S. in Marriage, Family, and Human Development (2010)
- Member, State Bar of Texas, Appellate and Family Law Sections
- Member, Texas Bar College
- Member, Texas Family Law Foundation
- Member, Texas Young Lawyers Association
- Member, Tarrant County Bar Association
- Member, Tarrant County Family Law Bar Association
- Associate Member, Eldon B. Mahon Inn of Court
- Alumnus, National Family Law Trial Institute
- Honoree, Texas Rising Star by Thomson Reuters – Appellate (2020)
- Honoree, Fort Worth Magazine’s “Top Attorney,” Family Law (2019)
- Honoree, 360 West Magazine “Top Attorneys” – Appellate Law (2019)
- Top 40 Under 40, The National Advocates (2018)
- The Joseph W. McKnight Best Family Law CLE Article (2017)
- 10 Best Attorney for Client Satisfaction, American Institute of Family Law Attorneys (2017)
- In re J.C., 594 S.W.3d —, No. 02-18-00029-CV, 2019 WL 4019682 (Tex. App.—Fort Worth Aug. 27, 2019, no pet. h.).
- Waldrop v. Waldrop, 552 S.W.3d 396 (Tex. App.—Fort Worth 2018, no pet.) (op. on en banc reconsideration).
- In re S.V., — S.W.3d —, No. 05-16-00519-CV, 2017 WL 3725981 (Tex. App.—Dallas Aug. 30, 2017, pet. denied) (op. on rehearing).
- In re S.U., No. 02-19-00395-CV, 2020 WL 1949626 (Tex. App.—Fort Worth April 23, 2020, no pet.) (mem. op.).
- In re Bizzle, No. 02-20-00079-CV, 2020 WL 1313725 (Tex. App.—Fort Worth March 20, 2020, orig. proceeding) (mem. op.).
- Bartee v. Bartee, No. 11-18-00017-CV, 2020 WL 524909 (Tex. App.—Eastland Jan. 31, 2020, no pet.) (mem. op.).
- Wright v. Payne, No. 02-19-00147-CV, 2019 WL 6003243 (Tex. App.—Fort Worth Nov. 14, 2019, no pet.) (mem. op.).
- C.C. v. L.C., No. 02-18-00425-CV, 2019 WL 2865294 (Tex. App.—Fort Worth July 3, 2019, no pet.) (mem. op.).
- In re J.W., No. 02-18-00419-CV, 2019 WL 2223216 (Tex. App.—Fort Worth May 23, 2019, orig. proceeding) (mem. op.).
- In re M.S., No. 02-18-00379-CV, 2019 WL 1768993 (Tex. App.—Fort Worth April 22, 2019, pet. filed) (mem. op.).
- In re C.W.J., No. 11-17-00085-CV, 2019 WL 1067489 (Tex. App.—Eastland March 7, 2019, no pet.) (mem. op.).
- In re K.F., No. 02-18-00187-CV, 2018 WL 6816119 (Tex. App.—Fort Worth Dec. 27, 2018, pet. denied) (mem. op.).
- In re A.C., No. 02-18-00129-CV, 2018 WL 5273931 (Tex. App.—Fort Worth Oct. 24, 2018, pet. denied) (mem. op.).
- Pedone v. Harvey, No. 07-17-00394-CV, 2018 WL 3677804 (Tex. App.—Amarillo Aug. 2, 2018, no pet.) (mem. op.).
- In re Garza, No. 05-18-00816-CV, 2018 WL 3569384 (Tex. App.—Dallas July 25, 2018, orig. proceeding) (mem. op.).
- In re J.C.V., No. 05-17-00828-CV, 2017 WL 5150990 (Tex. App.—Dallas Nov. 7, 2017, no pet.) (mem. op.).
- In re E.B., No. 12-17-00214-CV, 2017 WL 4675109 (Tex. App.—Tyler Oct. 18, 2017, orig. proceeding) (mem. op.), mandamus denied, In re M.B., No. 17-0944 (Tex. June 8, 2018) (order without op.).
- In re Jennings, No. 10-17-00247-CV, 2017 WL 4542994 (Tex. App.—Waco Oct. 11, 2017, orig. proceeding) (mem. op.).
- In re B.L., No. 02-16-00360-CV, 2016 WL 6804467 (Tex. App.—Fort Worth Nov. 17, 2016, orig. proceeding). (mem. op.).
- In re I.C., No. 02-15-00300-CV, 2016 WL 1394539 (Tex. App.—Fort Worth April 28, 2016, no pet.) (mem. op.).
- In re B.L., No. 02-16-00082-CV, 2016 WL 1569782 (Tex. App.—Fort Worth April 18, 2016, orig. proceeding) (mem. op.).
- Saldana v. Saldana, No. 10-15-00411-CV, 2016 WL 1238730 (Tex. App.—Waco March 24, 2016, no pet.) (mem. op.).